The Resource The war that saved my life
- The war that saved my life
- Statement of responsibility
- Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
- trueEvacuation of civilians
- trueWorld War II home front
- trueWorld War II
- trueHistorical fiction
- trueFamilial love
- trueSecond World War era (1939-1945) -- 1939 -- 1945
- Children with disabilities -- Great Britain -- Juvenile fiction
- trueChild abuse
- trueGrief in women
- trueChildren's stories
- truePeople with disabilities
- true1940s -- 1940 -- 1949
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Evacuation of civilians -- Great Britain -- Juvenile fiction
- truePersistence in girls
- Brothers and sisters -- Juvenile fiction
- trueBrothers and sisters
- trueGreat Britain -- History -- George VI, 1936-1952
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Children -- Great Britain -- Juvenile fiction
- An exceptionally moving story of triumph against all odds, set during World War II. Nine-year-old Ada has never left her one-room flat. Her mother is too humiliated by Ada's twisted foot to let her outside. So when her little brother Jamie is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada doesn't waste a minute--she sneaks out to join him. So begins a new adventure for Ada, and for Miss Susan Smith, the woman who is forced to take in the two children. As Ada teaches herself to ride a pony, learns to read, and watches for German spies, she begins to trust Susan--and Susan begins to love Ada and Jamie. But in the end, will their bond be enough to hold them together through wartime? Or will Ada and her brother fall back into the cruel hands of their mother? This masterful work of historical fiction is equal parts adventure and a moving tale of family and identity--a classic in the making
- ALA Notable Children's Book, 2016
- California Young Reader Medal, Intermediate, 2019.
- Golden Sower Award (Nebraska), Grades 4-6, 2017.
- Indian Paintbrush Book Award (Wyoming), 2019.
- Isinglass Teen Read Award (New Hampshire), 2016.
- Josette Frank Award, 2016.
- Mark Twain Award (Missouri), 2018.
- Massachusetts Children's Book Award, 2018.
- Maud Hart Lovelace Book Award (Minnesota), Division II (Grades 6-8), 2018.
- Nutmeg Children's Book Award, Intermediate category, 2018.
- Schneider Family Book Award for Middle School, 2016.
- Sequoyah Book Awards (Oklahoma), Intermediate Books, 2018.
- Sunshine State Young Reader's Award (Florida), 2018.
- Virginia Readers' Choice Award for Middle School, 2018.
- Cataloging source
- no index present
- Intended audience
- Literary form
- Target audience
ContextContext of The war that saved my life
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The war that saved my life
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/resource/zgufHgg4RB8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/resource/zgufHgg4RB8/">The war that saved my life</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/">City Libraries, City of Gold Coast</a></span></span></span></span></div>