The Resource Washington Black
- Washington Black
- Statement of responsibility
- Esi Edugyan
- trueHistorical fiction
- true19th century -- 1801 -- 1900
- Slaves -- Fiction
- trueHistorical fiction
- trueMalicious accusation
- trueBlack Canadian fiction
- trueCanadian fiction
- trueAdult books for young adults
- trueInterracial friendship
- Large type books
- Slavery -- Fiction
- true1830s -- 1830 -- 1839
- Action and adventure fiction
- Freedmen -- Fiction
- Washington Black is an eleven-year-old field slave who knows no other life than the Barbados sugar plantation where he was born. When his master's eccentric brother chooses him to be his manservant, Wash is terrified of the cruelties he is certain await him. But Christopher Wilde, or "Titch," is a naturalist, explorer, scientist, inventor, and abolitionist. He initiates Wash into a world where a flying machine can carry a man across the sky; where two people, separated by an impossible divide, might begin to see each other as human; and where a boy born in chains can embrace a life of dignity and meaning. But when a man is killed and a bounty is placed on Wash's head, Titch abandons everything to save him. What follows is their flight along the eastern coast of America, and, finally, to a remote outpost in the Arctic, where Wash, left on his own, must invent another new life, one which will propel him further across the globe. From the sultry cane fields of the Caribbean to the frozen Far North, Washington Black tells a story of friendship and betrayal, love and redemption, of a world destroyed and made whole again and asks the question, what is true freedom?
- ALA Notable Book, 2019.
- Booklist Editors' Choice, 2018.
- Booklist Editors' Choice: Adult Books for Young Adults, 2018.
- New York Times Notable Book, 2018
- Scotiabank Giller Prize, 2018.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Literary form
- Target audience
ContextContext of Washington Black
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Washington Black
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/resource/RF9ky7sdgVw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/resource/RF9ky7sdgVw/">Washington Black</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/">City Libraries, City of Gold Coast</a></span></span></span></span></div>