The Resource Between the world and me
- Between the world and me
- Statement of responsibility
- by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- trueRacism -- United States -- History
- trueAdult books for young adults
- trueAfrican American men
- trueAfrican Americans -- Civil rights | History
- trueAfrican Americans -- Identity
- trueAfrican Americans -- Social conditions
- trueAutobiographies and memoirs
- trueBlack Lives Matter movement
- trueElectronic books
- trueLife stories -- Identity | Race and ethnicity
- trueRace (Social sciences)
- trueRace relations
- trueUnited States -- Race relations
- trueUnited States -- History -- 1865-
- trueSociety and culture -- Race
- In the 150 years since the end of the Civil War and the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment, the story of race and America has remained a brutally simple one, written on flesh: it is the story of the black body, exploited to create the country's foundational wealth, violently segregated to unite a nation after a civil war, and, today, still disproportionately threatened, locked up and killed in the streets. What is it like to inhabit a black body and find a way to live within it? And how can America reckon with its fraught racial history? Between the World and Me is Ta-Nehisi Coates' attempt to answer those questions, presented in the form of a letter to his adolescent son. Coates shares with his son - and readers - the story of his own awakening to the truth about history and race through a series of revelatory experiences: immersion in nationalist mythology as a child; engagement with history, poetry and love at Howard University; travels to Civil War battlefields and the South Side of Chicago; a journey to France that reorients his sense of the world; and pilgrimages to the homes of mothers whose children's lives have been taken as American plunder. Taken together, these stories map a winding path towards a kind of liberation - a journey from fear and confusion, to a full and honest understanding of the world as it is. Masterfully woven from lyrical personal narrative, reimagined history, and fresh, emotionally charged reportage, Between the World and Me offers a powerful new framework for understanding America's history and current crisis, and a transcendent vision for a way forward
- ALA Notable Book, 2016.
- Alex Award, 2016.
- Booklist Editors' Choice, 2015
- Booklist Editors' Choice: Adult Books for Young Adults, 2015
- Indies' Choice Book Awards, Adult Nonfiction, 2016.
- Kirkus Prize for Nonfiction, 2015.
- Library Journal Best Books, 2015.
- National Book Award for Nonfiction, 2015.
- New York Times Notable Book, 2015
- School Library Journal Best Books: Best Adult Books 4 Teens, 2015.
- Street Lit Book Award Medal: Adult Non-Fiction, 2016.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Target audience
ContextContext of Between the world and me
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Between the world and me
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/resource/MA7JlqtmWgM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/resource/MA7JlqtmWgM/">Between the world and me</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/">City Libraries, City of Gold Coast</a></span></span></span></span></div>