The Resource Skim
- Statement of responsibility
- words by Mariko Tamaki ; drawings by Jillian Tamaki
- Graphic novels
- trueRealistic fiction
- trueSelf-acceptance in teenage girls
- Goth culture (Subculture) -- Comic books, strips, etc
- trueGirls' schools
- trueComics and Graphic novels
- trueChildren of divorced parents
- trueTeenagers -- Interpersonal relations
- Young adult fiction
- trueCanadian fiction
- trueMultiracial teenage girls
- trueToronto, Ontario
- Teenage girls -- Comic books, strips, etc
- trueHigh schools
- trueHigh school girls
- Interpersonal relationships -- Comic books, strips, etc
- trueTeenage girls -- Identity
- trueIdentity (Psychology)
- trueDiary novels
- "Skim" is Kimberly Keiko Cameron, a not-slim, would-be Wiccan goth who goes to a private girls' school in the early '90s. When her classmate Katie Matthews is dumped by her boyfriend, who then kills himself possibly because he's (maybe) gay the entire school goes into mourning overdrive. It's a weird time to fall in love, but that's what happens to Skim when she starts meeting secretly with her neo-hippie English teacher, Ms. Archer. But then Ms. Archer abruptly leaves the school, and Skim has to cope with her confusion and isolation while her best friend, Lisa, tries to pull her into "real" life by setting up a hilarious double-date for the school's semi formal. Suicide, depression, love, homosexuality, crushes, cliques of popular, manipulative peers the whole gamut of teen life is explored in this poignant glimpse into the heartache of being 16."
- Doug Wright Awards: Best Book, 2009.
- Ignatz Awards, Outstanding Graphic Novel, 2008.
- New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Books: 2008
- OLA Best Bets, 2008.
- Rainbow List, 2009.
- YALSA Best Books for Young Adults, 2009
- YALSA Great Graphic Novels for Teens, 2009
- YALSA Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults, 2014.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Literary form
- Target audience
ContextContext of Skim
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Skim
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/resource/31sN4q1EDvU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/resource/31sN4q1EDvU/">Skim</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/">City Libraries, City of Gold Coast</a></span></span></span></span></div>